A Message From Our Moderator: Town Meeting Procedures
Thu, 06/04/2020 - 12:46pm Heraldgroton
At times like these, we come together as a community to support each other. One expression of community is Town Meeting where we approve funding for shared priorities and pass bylaws for the common good.
The 2020 Spring Town Meeting will be 10 a.m., June 13, behind the Florence Roche School (with a rain date of June 14 at 1 p.m. to avoid added expense from renting chairs and a sound system for another weekend). After consulting with the Board of Health and other officials, the moderator has determined voters will be able to attend the meeting as planned.
While voters will find the format of Town Meeting familiar, there will be some necessary changes, including:
• Single and household-pair seating will be six or more feet apart and should not be moved.
• Attendees should wear masks, even while speaking, and observe social distancing whenever possible.
• Anyone unable to wear a mask may sit in a reserved section with a dedicated microphone.
• Voters will speak from their seats when called on by the moderator. Wireless microphones will be brought by an usher and sanitized between uses.
• Voters will vote using raised cards and not by voice.
• Children may accompany parents and remain seated quietly. Parents are asked to bring a seat for the child. Families with two or more children should provide their own chairs and sit at least six feet behind the last row.
The 15 budget motions, the majority of the 26 planned main motions, will be voted in a consent agenda. Voters should review the budget and warrant. When asked by the moderator, a voter may request to hold a budget section for separate debate and vote. With the meeting’s consent, the not held budget motions will be voted as a single motion without debate.
The goal is to complete the meeting within an hour. Any motions not included in a consent agenda are subject to debate, amending and vote, just as at any Town Meeting.
Voters should check www. grotonma.gov for updates and may email questions to moderator@ townofgroton.org or call 978-391- 4506.
Moderator, Town of Groton
Please send comments to email@example.com