Winter Fun at Groton Public Library
Please sign up at gpl.org, or call (978) 448-8000.
• Lifelong Learning: Screwball Comedies of 1930s. Depression-era Hollywood Films: Comedies, Tragedies, and a Few in Between. Engage with culture of the Great Depression through film viewings, readings, discussions, and lectures. We will focus on the genre of screwball comedy, one of the greatest vehicles of American social satire, and works of exceptional directors such as George Cukor, Howard Hawks, Leo McCarey and Preston Sturges. Joe Moser, PhD, is a full-time Film & English Studies instructor at Fitchburg State University. Films shown Saturday afternoons in the library, day before each Sunday session. You can request the film through the Library.
• Saturday Afternoon Double Feature Matinees! Begins Jan. 7-Feb.4. Films shown will be discussed in the Film Series the following Sunday, but all are welcome to attend Saturday (you do not have to be participating in the film course to attend screenings). Popcorn and beverages provided, thanks to the generosity of GPL Endowment Trust. Short intermission between films. Movies Sat., Jan. 7: 1 pm: Heroes for Sale (1933, 71 min.) 2:17 - 2:30 pm: Intermission 2:30 pm: Baby Face (1933 pre-theatrical release version, 76 min)
• Winter Reading Program, grades 6-12, starts Dec. 23- stock up on books for the holidays and sign up @gpl.org to earn prizes for reading. gpl.org.
Thurs, Dec 29, 6-8:15pm. Pizza and Movie Night for grades 6-12. Movie MPAA rated PG-13. Please sign up at gpl.org. and enjoy a night out on us!
Hot Books! Hot Chocolate! Bring your books to read on Tuesday afternoons from 3-4pm starting Jan 3rd and enjoy a free hot chocolate bar and treats.
For readers in grade 6-12.
All programs sponsored by the Groton Public Library Endowment Trust
• Children’s Events:
Sign up online at gpl.org, or call 978-448-8000.
• Tues, Dec 27, 10:30 am-12 pm. Movie: Finding Dory. Rated PG. All ages!
• Fri, Dec 30, 10:30 am - 11:15 am. Rolie Polie Guacamole Concert. Join award-winning ‘kindie’ band from Brooklyn, NY for a high energy, interactive show, a mix of funk, rock and folk music mashed into original tunes. All ages!
• Fri, Jan 6, 10:30-11:15 am. Yoga and Literacy for Children ages 3-5. Yoga and Literacy-taught by yoga instructor/ children’s book author Ellen Olson-Brown. Classes ncorporate movement/yoga and breathing into simple literacy activities.