No subscription needed for Obituaries and Public Notices

One Dog Died In The Fire

Improper disposal of smoking materials was the cause of the February 22, 2020 fire at 20 Bligh Street in Ayer. One adult and one child were taken to the hospital. One dog died in the fire.
     The fire originated on an exterior, wooden porch of the single family home. Residents smoked on the porch earlier in the day and used a small plastic wastebasket to dispose of the smoking materials. There was additional evidence of smoking under the porch and in the driveway. The fire was reported at 5:15 p.m. by a neighbor who alerted the residents. Another neighbor tried to put out the fire.
     Ayer Fire Chief Pedrazzi said the sleeping residents were fortunate because they were able to escape safely. Smoking materials can smolder for a long time before starting a fire. It is important to properly dispose of smoking materials in a can of sand or water, or a deep sturdy ashtray.
     Smoking is a leading cause of fire deaths. Learn to be a responsible smoker. Put it out. All the way. Every time.
 
Jennifer Mieth
Comment Policy: 
Please send comments to grotonherald@gmail.com

Groton Herald

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 610, Groton, Massachusetts 01450
 

Office
161 Main Street, Groton, Massachusetts 01450
[above Main Street Café]
 

Telephone: 978-448-6061
 

Comment Here