Groton Public Library
Thu, 11/12/2020 - 4:19pm Heraldgroton
Sign up online at gpl.org, email kids@ gpl.org, or call 978-448-8000.
• ZOOM Mother Goose Storytime, Infants & Toddlers. Wednesdays, Sept 30—Nov 18, 10:30 am. Join Miss Lauren & Bunny for a sweet storytime with books, songs and rhymes! Geared toward babies and toddlers, but definitely fun for preschoolers, too. Sign up for ZOOM invites to the entire series.
• ZOOM Story Time for 3-5 Year-Olds. Thursdays, Oct 1-Nov 19, 10:30 am. Let’s meet up virtually! Join Children’s Room librarians for a fun story- time! Sign up once to register for the whole series.
• Virtual Book Groups for Kids:
· Book Bears for Grades 2 & 3. Meets the 2nd Thursday
of every month, 4-4:30 pm.
· Book Worms for Grades 4 & 5. Meets the 1st Tuesday of every month, 4-4:30 pm.
· Book Worm MASTERS for Grade 6. Meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month, time TBD. Starts Oct 13.
Sign up to receive your Zoom invitation. For the first meeting, bring a book that you recently read to talk about. Check out the selected book for the next meeting at the Children’s Room window.
• ZOOM Read to a Dog. Children gain confidence by reading aloud to a non-judgmental, friendly dog. Shiver, certified through the Pets & People Foundation, has been hard at work learning to use Zoom. Please call 978-448-8000 or email kids@ gpl.org for more information.
• Tuesday LEGO® Challenge. We’ll post two LEGO projects to Facebook every Tuesday. Do one or both! Sign up and we will email you the challenge every week. Email firstname.lastname@example.org a pic- ture of your completed project and we’ll post on Facebook. All ages. Starts Oct 6.
• READ ALOUD with Jennie on ZOOM. Starts Oct 1. First and Third Thursday, every month, 4-4:30 pm. Grades K-2. Drop-in and be ready for your imagination to soar listening to the dynamic Jennie Fitzkee read aloud from the best children’s chapter books.
• Coretta Scott King (CSK) Award Reading Challenge. Read winners of the CSK Award, take a picture with each book you read, email to kids@gpl.
org, and we’ll post them in our Facebook album with what you liked best about the book. CSK Awards are given to outstanding African American authors and illustrators of books for children and young adults that demon- strate an appreciation of African American culture and universal human values. No names will be posted with photos. Stop by the • Children’s Room Window for your log sheet and to check out books. Starts Sept. 15.
• Join our READERS CLUB! Stop by Oct 1 for your punch card. We’ll punch it each time you visit our window and check out materials. Visit 10 times to receive a small prize.
• Mass. Children’s Book Awards (MCBA) Reading Challenge! Recommended for grades 4 & 5. Read 5 of the MCBA 2020 nominees, vote for your favorite, and enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card. Starts October 1. Stop by the Window for your list and to sign up, or email SRP@gpl.org and we can mail it to you. Learn more @ Mass. Children’s Book Awards at massachusettschild- rensbookaward.blogspot.com
Sign up online at gpl.org, email email@example.com, or call 978-448-8000
• Creative Writing Club
(Grades 6-12) Tuesdays 4-5pm. Fun activities, brainstorming and practice. Nov. 17, Dec. 8 & 22.
• YA@GPL Game Club: Play Super Smash Brothers on Switch with Chat on Zoom. We will set up an arena for you to meet and play with other club mem- bers. Every other Friday 3:00- 4:00pm. Nov. 13, Dec. 4 & 18.
• Book Worm MASTERS for Grade 6. Meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month, time TBD. Starts Oct 13. 4pm. Sign up to receive your Zoom invitation. For the first meeting, bring a book that you recently read to talk about. Check out the selected book for the next meeting at the Chil- dren’s Window or Curbside.
• Minecraft Meet-Up (Grades 5-10) Minecraft enthusiasts play on the library servers and chat on Zoom. A Bedrock or Java Minecraft account is required. Every other Wednesday 3:00- 4:30pm. Oct. 7 & 21, Nov. 4 & 18, Dec. 9.
Sign up on-line at gpl.org, email info@gpl. org, or call 978-448-8000
• JOIN THE DISCUSSION ON ZOOM! BOOK GROUPS @ GPL
Copies of all readings are available to borrow through curbside pickup up to one month in advance.
• GPL BOOK GROUP meets monthly on the 4th Tuesday, 7-8 pm, Sept-June.
Oct 27 The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai
• GREAT BOOKS GROUP
meets monthly on the 2nd Wednesday, 7-8:30 pm, Sept- July.
• MYSTERY BOOK GROUP
meets monthly on the 3rd Thurs- day, 7-8:30 pm, Year-Round.
• SPECIAL EVENT! SISTERS IN CRIME PRESENTS MYSTERY MAKING! Oct 15, 7 pm: SPECIAL EVENT! SISTERS IN CRIME PRESENTS MYSTERY MAKING! On Zoom! In this interactive workshop, four mystery authors representing different sub-genres, including cozy/traditional and thriller/suspense, will brainstorm on their feet to create a brand new mystery! Fun, fast-paced, and fascinating, this improv game offers important insights into mystery writers’ minds and the conventions of the genre. We will use Zoom features such as the chat to interact and create with the panelists! Please sign up to receive your Zoom invitation! In case you do not see the confirmation with your invitation in your inbox, be sure to check your spam/ junk folders. Co-sponsored with GPL Mystery Book Group. Generously sponsored by the GPL Endowment Trust.
• ¿Hablas español? Spanish Conversation Group
Meets Tuesdays, 7-8:30 pm, Twice Monthly, via Zoom
Facilitated by Verónica Mazzu, a native Spanish speaker from Chile and a Spanish teacher for Southborough public schools. Sign up for the Zoom invitation. Dates: Nov.3 & 17; Dec.1&15. Continues year-round. Sponsored by the GPL Endowment Trust.
Mystified by ZOOM Meetings?
Don’t let it stop you from joining in! We’ll help you get started and answer any nagging questions you may have. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 978-448- 8000 to schedule a practice session with Reference Librarian Susanne Olson.
• WEEKLY DROP-IN. Knitting & Handicrafts. Thursdays, 1:30- 3:30 pm via Zoom.
LIBRARY TRUSTEE POSITION AVAILABLE (TEMP.)
The Trustees of the Groton Public Library have a vacancy on their six member board due to the resignation of Marilyn Dab- ritz. This position would begin immediately upon appointment and be open to election for the remaining two years of the three year term at the next town election in May.
The Library Trustees oversee all operations of the public library, establish policies, and serve as advocates for good li- brary service. Library Trustees attend monthly meetings and serve on active sub-committees: Building and Equipment; Policy, Personnel, and Planning; and Budget and Finance.
Interested individuals should send a brief letter expressing their desire to be considered and the reason for their inter- est to the Board at Trustees at email@example.com or c/o the Library Director at the Groton Public Library, 99 Main St., before October 2, 2020.
Please send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org