No subscription needed for Obituaries and Public Notices

Cannon Removal in 1972

It’s a happy fact that Groton’s Revolutionary War cannon, captured at the battle of Chelsea Creek 241 years ago by Groton Minutemen on May 27, 1775, has finally found its way into the care of historian and craftsman Earl Carter. For years this historic treasure was neglected, left out in the elements, hidden under piles of manure, mostly forgotten and almost taken during WWII for scrap metal. Here the cannon is shown on the Sheedy property near Lawrence Academy before it was moved by Leroy Johnson and others in 1972 to the back of Boutwell House. From there, Earl Carter took the cannon under his protective wing, making it accessible and understandable to younger generations of Americans.

Comment Policy: 
Comments are welcome. However, comments should be thoughtful and coherent and may be published in the print edition of the Groton Herald with the name of the poster. In effect, a post here is a Letter to the Editor. "

Groton Herald

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 610, Groton, Massachusetts 01450
 

Office
161 Main Street, Groton, Massachusetts 01450
[above Main Street Café]
 

Telephone: 978-448-6061
 

Comment Here